Sunday, April 29, 2012

How About I Be Me

I have a confession to make; I am young enough that Sinead O'Connor's new album is the first of her work that I have sat down and listened to, start to finish. I'm not sure I could have stumbled onto something more timely for my life right now...isn't it unnerving when something like that happens? This album feels like a journey to me. At my fourth listening last night I'm still getting these little "ah-hah" moments from the way the songs were put together, the word choices, and the humor mixed in with the sadness. I've been at "4th and Vine". Getting married at 18, the plan of having six children who constantly sang their joy and love isn't too far off. Neither is the stark contrast between this opening dream and the brutal reality Of "Reason With Me". V.I.P. and Queen of Denmark are both rough and funny, breaking up the more serious points in the album even while adding their own critique to the mix. The most difficult track for me to listen to, though, is "Take Off Your Shoes". It's no surprise for O'Connor to voiced anger at the Catholic Church. She does so, however, without specifying the issue at hand...speaking from what she has said she imagined the Holy Ghost might say. The result is quietly terrifying, a poignant expression of the pain caused by the disconnect between words and actions in organized religion. I would reccomend this album, but would suggest approaching with care by anyone who has suffered abuse in the name of faith. While powerful and healing for me, it was also triggering. It would seem that O'Connor has unfortunately canceled her tour for the album, due to her battle with bipolar disorder. That had to have been a tough choice to make, and (for what it's worth from a small no one in America) I applaud her for it. With you in spirit, Sinead O'Connor. You take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment